We do not currently support any connector cables.
Currently we recommend that users upgrade their PM3 or PM4 to a PM5 which supports Bluetooth connection smartphones. For more information about how to do this please contact Concept 2.
Why don't we support cables to PM3/PM4s?
We want to develop the best app we possibly can and we have to make tough choices about where we deploy our very limited development resources. So far we've chosen to prioritise adding new features and new workout programs over support for older monitors. If this is an important requirement to you, please let us know in the comments or via firstname.lastname@example.org. Customer demand for features is a strong influence on our priorities.
Some of our other thoughts on cables vs Bluetooth:
- Apple have changed the connector on their iPhones in the past and are expected to do so again. There isn't an officially supported Concept 2 cable for recent iPhone models, which together with all new monitors supporting Bluetooth implies a preference for Bluetooth connection.
- We're continually reviewing cable options as industry moves towards USB-C. However early indications are that Apple will continue to place restrictions on what can be supported via USB-C, meaning you can't just plug in a standard cable between phone and PM5 and have it work.
- There are 3rd party cables that connect PMs to Apple Lightning for example but we have no control over the quality of these cables, and require their permission to work with them which they can take away at any time.
- Third party cables can be expensive because they need to contain electronics to interface with Apple's proprietary lightning connector. This also means that the cables themselves may need updating periodically to keep working with the latest Apple models and we have no control over that which can lead to problems we can't easily solve.
- If you wish to use asensei you could consider upgrading your Concept 2 monitor to a PM5 which supports Bluetooth Low Energy and ANT+ is a more forward looking and flexible option than using a cable. It also means you can connect your monitor to a wider range of devices, both iOS and Android, as well as a wide selection of heart rate monitors. Should you do so, you may also be able to sell your older monitor as the secondhand market for most things Concept 2 is healthy.