This article explains how to upgrade your Concept 2 PM5 Firmware. Concept 2 regularly update the PM5 firmware to fix bugs and add features,. However the PM5 firmware does not update automatically and we strongly recommend that you take steps to keep your PM5 on the latest version for the best experience. In particular, old versions of the firmware can mean that the PM5 is more prone to disconnect from your phone and it may not be unable to reconnect automatically.
How do I check the version of firmware on my Concept 2 PM5?
To check your Concept 2 PM5 firmware version press MENU, then from the menu that appears choose MORE OPTIONS using the buttons on the right, then UTILITIES, then PRODUCT ID. You'll see a screen like the one below. You need to note both the Firmware and the Hardware Versions.
What's the latest version of the Concept 2 PM5 Firmware?
The most recent version of the firmware depends upon the version of the hardware:
|HW Version||Latest Firmware Version|
|lower than 600||Version 32 (released Dec 2021)|
|600 to 899||Version 171 (released Dec 2021)|
|900 or higher||Version 210 (released Dec 2021)|
If your version is lower than the relevant number in the table above then you should upgrade the firmware in the PM5. The very latest versions can be found on the Concept 2 website.
Instructions for upgrading the Concept 2 PM5 Firmware
To upgrade the firmware requires that you can install the Concept 2 Utility on a Windows PC or a Mac. You also need either a USB memory stick (a size around 2GB or less seems to work best) or a USB A to USB B cable (similar to that used on printers).
Note, if you don't have access to these please get in touch with asensei by emailing email@example.com and we will help by providing a USB stick with the latest firmware preloaded for you to use (stock permitting).
The Concept 2 utility can be downloaded from: https://www.concept2.com/service/monitors/pm5/firmware and that page also includes detailed instructions for making the update from either a USB stick or a USB cable.
The instructions for installing from a USB stick are reproduced below:
Important - please check battery level is not low before attempting to install the firmware.
- If your USB flash drive is currently inserted in your computer, remove it before proceeding.
- On your computer, connect to the internet, and then launch the Concept2 Utility.
- Click Update Firmware.
- Insert the USB flash drive into your computer. If you have not previously used this USB flash drive with a PM5 or with the Concept2 Utility, enter a user name when prompted and click Ok.
- The Concept2 Utility automatically copies the PM5 firmware files to the USB flash drive. When the file copy is complete, take the steps indicated on the Concept2 Utility:
- Insert the USB flash drive into the PM5.
- Power up the PM5 and wait for the prompts.
- When prompted, select Update Now twice to start the update.
More info about the other options.
The update takes several minutes, and the PM5 displays “update in progress” messages during this time. The update is complete when the PM5 displays the Main Menu. You can then do your workout or take the USB flash drive to another PM5 that needs updating.
If you experience any problems, please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org.