We've just pushed a new version of the asensei app to the Apple iOS Appstore. Details of this and previous releases are given below.
Release Notes 1.17.3 - 22nd Dec 2021
Release Notes 1.17.2 - 13th Dec 2021
Release Notes 1.17.1 - 1st Dec 2021
Release Notes 1.17.0
The post-workout sharing screen is now more consistent with the entries in the Concept 2 Logbook.
- The first workout stats card now displays only the 'active rowing' part of the workout and doesn't include rests, warmups or cooldowns. This means it reflects the 'performance' part of your workout rather than the overall session. This is consistent with the Concept 2 workout summary.
- TIME - duration of your rowing during the active rowing part of a workout
- AVE SPLIT TIME - your average split time during the active rowing part of a workout
- DISTANCE (M) - distance rowed during the active rowing part of a workout
- CALORIES - calories burned during the active rowing part of your workout.
- Overall session details are still captured and broken out on a second stats card.
- OVERALL TIME is the total duration rowed in the workout, including active rowing and rowing during rest periods, warmups and cooldowns.
- OVERALL DISTANCE is the total distance rowed in the workout, including active rowing and rowing during rest periods, warmups and cooldowns.
- REST TIME - is the time rowed during your workout, but excluding the active rowing - so this is your time spent in warmups, cooldowns and rowing in rest periods.
- REST DISTANCE - is the distance rowed during your workout, but excluding the active rowing - so this is your time spent in warmups, cooldowns and rowing in rest periods.
- A third stats card shows some additional stats for your session. These are for the active rowing part of the workout only, not for the rests, warmups or cooldowns.
- AVERAGE STROKE RATE
- STROKE COUNT
- CALORIES PER HOUR
- AVERAGE WATTS
- A 4th stats card is similar to the first stats card, showing details of the active rowing, but displays drag factor instead of calories.
Note that you may still see some discrepancies between the data shown on these cards and the PM5 since asensei does not reset the PM5 at the start or the end of a workout session. asensei does not capture any meters/time rowed outside a workout, even if the app is open.
COMING SOON - CONCEPT 2 LOGBOOK RANKING
The app is now capable of ranking certain qualifying workouts in the Concept 2 Logbook - however this feature is not yet active. Ranking means that your row will be listed in the season's best times for that distance/time.
There are currently a number of limitations to this feature.
- Only the workouts that asensei defines as ranking sessions will be ranked in the Concept 2 Logbook. At the time of writing none of the publically available workouts have been configured to allow ranking in the Concept 2 Logbook, so you will not yet see any of your workouts rank. Over time asensei intend to make certain key workouts rankable.
- Rankable workouts will not be flagged as verified.
- Rankable workouts will ONLY log the the data from the ranking event (e.g. a 2000m row), they will not log the warmup and rest rowing performed during that workout. This is due to limitations in the Concept 2 Logbook where ranking pieces must be Fixed Distance/Time sessions.
Release Notes 1.16.0
- You can now workout with the popular WaterRower and FluidRower rowing machines, as well as Concept 2 rowergs. WaterRowers require an S4 Monitor and a Bluetooth ComModule, FluidRowers need a Bluetooth console and Concept 2 machines need a PM5 monitor. To find out more:
- Connecting asensei to a WaterRower
- Connecting FluidRower by First Degree Fitness Rowing Machines to asensei
- Note that due to differences in effort required to hit a particular split we recommend you do not mix and match different rowing machines when using asensei.
- Manually reset your goals. If your circumstances change, if you've been out injured or off the erg for a while, or you just want to start afresh, you can ask asensei to start learning from scratch. Your workout history remains safely intact so you will always have a record of your performances. To find out more see this article: How do I reset the targets and goals that asensei sets for me?
- Take your goal setting data with you across multiple iOS devices - when you login to a new device your goals now come with you. Note: workout data that can be retrieved is limited to those saved with the new version of the app so you must update to app version 1.16.0 on your main asensei device before you login to other iOS devices.
- The Up Next screen now displays the program that your workout is from.
- Programs are listed in a consistent order to make it easier to find your workouts.
- Free trial programs are no longer shown in the program list when you are a member.
- Fixed a bug that could allow accidental re-connection to other rowing machines in the vicinity
- The asensei challenge now works correctly with WaterRower and FluidRower machines
Release Notes 1.15.0
Release Notes 1.14.5
MAKING IT EASIER TO LOGIN
Release Notes 1.14.4
Release Notes 1.14.3
Release Notes 1.14.2
Release Notes 1.14.1
KAIZEN - Small changes in the spirit of continuous improvement
Concept 2 Logbook integration improvements which should prevent the appearance of negative rest distances and times in the logbook. These issues can occur when the PM5 is reset during a workout, including when the user programs it manually (which we don't recommend).
Bluetooth timeout at the time of disconnect/reconnect increased to try and make this more robust and better logging added to debug.
Under the hood changes for Personal Coaching + (app)arel users to improve movement recognition.
Release Notes 1.14.0
We’ve improved the data that is pushed to the logbook - your ‘rest’/cooldown meters after the main workout is complete are now included in the Concept 2 logbook rest entry.
We've made some improvements to the form tracking capabilities and UI
Release Notes 1.13.0
GET STARTED FASTER
Release Notes 1.12.0
* The Fast Friday workout does not currently sync correctly with the Concept 2 logbook.
Release Notes 1.11.0
GIVING YOU MORE DATA
We heard your feedback, so we now let you see all of your workout data, stroke by stroke, interval by interval, for your whole workout in the Concept 2 Logbook. We’ve also added direct integration with the Apple Health app, so you can see where your asensei workout fits with your other activities.
We love our coaches, but sometimes you just want to zone out and focus, so we added a slider that lets you control the coaching volume relative to the music during a workout.
We’ve tried to make it easier to get connected and stay connected to your Bluetooth rowing machine. asensei will now reconnect automatically* if there's a problem during your workout and we’ve tried to make the initial connection even easier. To help us help you we’ve also added the ability to reach out to you with in-app messaging.
* Note, some rowing machines may need to update firmware to allow automatic reconnection, contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
As part of our commitment to continuous improvement we’ve fixed a number of bugs behind the scenes: iPad users on iOS12 should now have audio playback on the pre-workout videos, our sharing screens should work correctly on the iPad Pro, progress bars should update more accurately.
Exclusively for our form coaching cohort we’ve made some significant improvements. Note, (App)arel purchase required.
* The Fast Friday workout does not currently sync correctly with the Concept 2 logbook.
Release Notes 1.10.0
You told us you wanted to be able to change programs, or restart a program, so now you can. Choose Hey asensei [+], then Workouts and swipe left to change your active program; you can choose to start a program from the beginning or resume where you left off.
We’ve increased the size of the SKIP button so that you can hit that more easily when you are on the rowing machine and want to start working out faster.
KAIZEN - CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
Behind the scenes we are changing the way your memberships work, to provide you with a more seamless experience, you don’t need to do anything!
We’ve fixed some bugs that have caused some minor issues, including with music playback.
Release Notes 1.9.0
SIGN-UP JUST GOT EASIER
It’s easier than ever to sign up to asensei. New athletes can now sign up to asensei using Sign In with Apple, using your existing Apple ID. This is on top of the existing email and Facebook login options which remain.
We’ve fixed a number of issues that were causing problems for a small number of our athletes. asensei should now respond better when you are working out and receive a call or notification. Deleting downloads now works consistently so you can free up your storage space. The rare but annoying bug that prevented certain workouts from starting has also been resolved.
When you update the app it will now pop up a tip to inform you that it’s possible to choose your own music.
We’ve renamed the Send Logfiles button in My asensei to Send diagnostics to try and avoid confusion with the Concept 2 Logbook.
Release Notes 1.8.0
MORE MUSIC CHOICES
You told us you wanted to play your own music, so now you can. As well as our existing integrated music you can now choose a playlist from Apple Music, music, podcasts or radio from an external service such as Spotify, Soundcloud or Pandora, or you can turn off music altogether if you want to be completely in the zone!
To choose your own music, hit Hey asensei [+], then choose My asensei and you'll see a new section, titled Music. For more information see this FAQ article: Can I listen to my own music when working out?
FREE UP YOUR STORAGE
You can now swipe left on a workout from the list if you want to free up some storage on your device.
For more information see this FAQ article: How can I free up storage on my device?
Release Notes 1.7.1
The main change in this release is a fairly obscure bugfix that occurs if signing out on an iPad. Note, we don't recommend you logout unless you absolutely have to because it will affect asensei's goal recommendations in the short term.
We also added some extra data logging to help us get to the bottom of certain issues more quickly.
Release Notes 1.7.0
BRINGING YOU BETTER WORKOUTS
You told us you wanted asensei to track your Heart Rate and this release will allow us to display on-screen and track data via your PM5 or the Health app while you workout. It will also log to the Concept 2 Logbook. Note, we also need to update our workouts before this feature is going to be visible.
asensei can now also take your step-count data from the Health App to help gather a better picture of your all-round activity. This feature is restricted to specific programs so if you prefer not to share that data you won't have to.
Your Head Up Display during a workout has been improved. As well as adding support for Heart Rate data during your workouts, it can now also adapt better for non-rowing workouts so that we can display your info on-screen less obtrusively.
We're always listening and can now take input from athletes during a workout - that might include logging your reps or a rating for the workout to help us improve your experience.
MANAGING YOUR WORKOUTS
We want to keep making your favourite workouts even better so updates will now be automatically downloaded each time you open the app.
Started a workout by mistake? You can now delete your data from the Session History - press and hold on the offending workout and a delete icon will appear; keep your finger on the screen and select to delete the workout. You can also launch or re-download a workout from here.
KAIZEN - CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
We've fixed a number of known, but rare issues. There should no longer be duplicate music metadata at the start of some workouts, the mute switch no longer silences your workout, your workout will be saved if you quit on the sharing screen and you should always get an Up Next recommendation.
Release Notes 1.6.0
GIVING YOU MORE INSIGHT
When you complete a rowing workout you can now share a summary of your key stats. We plan to add more of these sharing cards, so tell us what you would like to see after your workout!
This update also allows us to bring you more insight and information about your workouts on the Up Next screen, watch that space!
KEEPING YOU MOVING
No more ending a workout by accident - when you hit STOP during a workout we check you want to end the session.
Release Notes 1.5.1
WE'RE MORE ROBUST
Your workout recommendations and startup should be more reliable, even when you have a poor internet connection.
It's now easier to see the navigation bar when browsing through lists of workouts and programs.
Release notes 1.5.0
WE'RE MORE SOCIAL
When your workout is done you now have the option to share with friends. We'll be introducing a variety of different sharing cards over time, so tell us what you'd like to see!
STAY IN TIME
You told us that you found it hard to follow along when some of our cue cards were on screen, so we've made these more transparent.
Fixes known issue with Concept 2 Logbook 12h/24h timestamps.
Release Notes 1.4.0
WE SOUND BETTER
You told us how important music is to your workouts. So we're giving you what you asked for - more variety, more control. Listen to asensei's first custom music station while working out, with music from artists you know and love. Use the iOS Control Center (swipe down from top right of the screen) to skip, pause, like or dislike the tunes as they play so that you get more of the music you love.
IF IT'S NOT IN THE LOGBOOK...
asensei can now upload a summary of your workouts to the Concept 2 Logbook, which you can also connect to Strava.
SKIP TO THE ACTION
Repeating or revising a previous lesson or workout? Training with asensei as part of a longer workout at the gym? Prefer to do your own warmup? You asked us to be able to skip past title sequences and warmups, and get straight to the warmups. And we've delivered it. In the coming days and weeks we'll release updated versions of your old workouts where our coaches have told asensei what you can skip, and what they're not letting you cheat on!
Known Issues in 1.4.0
- Workouts are saved to the Concept 2 Logbook in 12h format rather than 24h format. So it seems like you have always done a workout in the morning! We'll issue a fix before long, it's in testing.
Release Notes 1.3.0
Every time you complete a training session with asensei, she'll not just create coaching notes from that training session, but tell you what the next training session will be. Trust asensei to guide you through training programs, personalizing your practice based on your performance and potential. She'll automatically download your upcoming training sessions and archive old ones, so you can focus on your practice.
YOU GAVE US PAUSE:
During a workout if you tap the screen to pause your workout, asensei will tell you what happens after you pause. Because asensei is constantly measuring your performance so she can set realistic and challenging targets later in your practice, often when you pause the workout asensei has to take you back to an earlier part of the workout so she can start measuring again. Now when you press pause, asensei will give you the chance to go back, or power through to the end of each section.
WE'RE MORE STABLE:
We've made a number of bug fixes that were submitted to us by athletes that will improve the performance and stability of the app. Thank you for practicing with asensei and sharing your experience with us. You make asensei better, and she'll make you better.
If you’re enjoying asensei, please take a minute to rate us in the App Store!
Known Issues in 1.3.0
On the iPhone SE some of the Up Next workout headings are too large and obscure the conversation. In this event you can still manually select your workout via the Hey asensei [+] button.
Once you have completed all of the workouts in the app you won't see a branded Up Next screen. Congratulations if you got that far and don't fret we intend to add more workouts soon!
Immediately after updating the app some users may see an error message on startup, hit the "Try again" button and you should be recommended a new workout correctly. Note, you do need to be connected to the internet for this to work.