Download the asensei app from the app store and log in (or create an account if you don't already have one).
NOTE: some Senpai functionality requires appropriate permissions to be set on your account. If you can't see some of the functionality described here you should contact email@example.com to ensure the full functionality is switched on and available to you.
Firmware update: If you've been directed by asensei support to install a firmware update please do so by following the instructions here: https://asensei.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052807913
Put on your (App)arel and turn on the modules as described here: https://asensei.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052817393
Ensure you've plugged in the shirt module to the shirt and the pants module to the pants. If you get them around the wrong way nothing will work.
Note: the screen shots shown in this article are for the iPad. You can use an iPhone or iPad with the asensei app and will see similar screens with slightly differing layouts.
Connecting the (App)arel
Wear the (App)arel as noted above follow these instructions to get connected:
1. Open the asensei app. You'll see the 'up next' screen. Tap the 'hey asensei' [+] button at the bottom left of the screen.
2. Tap the 'Senpai' button.
3. Tap the 'Connect (App)arel' button.
4. You'll then see the connection screen with a 'blue avatar'. Tap the 'start scan' button.
If the modules are connected properly and switched on you should hear, "Connected pants module" and "Connected shirt module". They could connect in either order so you could hear the pants or shirt message in either order.
If you only hear one message or neither, check that the modules are switched on by pressing and holding the asensei logo button in the centre of each module until you see it flash blue.
5. Now that the modules are connected you need to let asensei synchronise the sensor position. This is a most important step. If you do not perform this step correctly asensei will not be able to accurately see your position. Don't worry you will get practiced at this and it isn't difficult.
Stand to attention with your feet about six inches apart (the actual distance doesn't matter too much as long as your legs are vertical and straight) and your arms by your sides. You palms should be facing in towards your thighs. It's a fairly standard military attention position.
Some people are unaware of how bent their arms are at the elbow. Try to ensure your arms are straight.
Tap the 'Sync Sensor Position' button and then stand to attention.
You'll hear asensei say, "Synchronize in 3, 2, 1, stand still". Stand to attention correctly by the time she counts 1 and make sure you remain at attention until after she says 'stand still'. After that you can move again.
6. asensei is now watching you and you should see the blue avatar mirror your movements. asensei is also doing some basic movement recognition that you can try out.
1. Watch the screen and raise your right arm straight up. You'll see the text "RIGHT ARM UP" on the screen.
2. You can do the following actions:
- Right arm up
- Left arm up
- Torso leaning
- Right knee up
- Left knee up
- Squat counts
Try raising your arms and knees, leaning your upper torso away from the upright position. asensei will only show one of the recognitions at a time (she is seeing them all but just choosing to display only one at a time).
Try doing some basic squats. asensei will show the count of the number of squats you have done.
Note: these are simple actions so that you can check that asensei is seeing you correctly. Naturally (as you will discover) asensei is able to watch you perform a great many movements and assess how well you are doing and to coach you to improve.
Now that you are connected you can:
- Do a capture session (for instructions on how to do that see here: https://asensei.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052095474)
- Do a workout: https://asensei.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052248334